Sunday, November 4, 2007

Preventing breast Cancer



Normal

Abnormal



  • Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in women, and the second most common cause of cancer death in women (lung cancer is most common cause of cancer death). During a woman's lifetime, the risk of breast cancer is approximately 1 in 9. The United States has a very high rate of breast cancer relative to many other countries. Though many factors may play a role, a clear cause, such as diet, has not been found.

  • Breast lump
  • Nipple discharge
  • Retracted nipple
  • Red/inflamed nipple
  • Breast enlargement
  • Breast shrinkage
  • Breast becomes hard
  • Bone pain
  • Back pain

  • Examination
    1. Breast Lump
    2. Nipple discharge
    3. Skin changes on breast
    4. Hardened breast
    5. Enlarged lymph glands:
    6. Above clavicles (collar bone)
    7. In armpits
    8. Sides of center bone in chest (mediastinal lymph nodes might be enlarged inside the chest, to the right and left of the midline)
  • Imaging:
    1. Mammograms
    2. Ultrasound
    3. CT Scan/MRI to check for spread to the brain
  • Tests:
    1. Needle aspiration
    2. Mammatome test -- special type of needle biopsy with special X-Ray techniques to localize deep lumps
    3. Open surgical biopsy -- when a lump is removed and sent to the lab for analysis
    4. Lymph node dissection -- multiple lymph nodes are removed to check for the spread of cancer
    5. Sentinel lymph node dissection -- a new technique in which only a few lymph nodes need to be biopsied

  • Family history of breast cancer in mother, sister, daughter, or if two or more close relatives have the disease
  • Risk increases as women get older
  • Previous endometrial (uterine) cancer
  • Previous breast cancer, atypical changes, and previous breast disease
  • Carrier of BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes (especially prominent in Ashkenazi Jews); however, only 5-10% of all breast cancers may be due to genetic defects or changes.
  • Menstrual periods started before the age of 12
  • Menopause ended after age 50
  • No children
  • Estrogen hormone replacement therapy
  • Alcohol, high fat in diet, increased fiber diet, smoking, obesity, and having previous ovarian or Colon Cancer
  • African-Americans and Hispanics may have a worse prognosis than whites.

  • Breast cancer treatment depends on three major factors:
    1. If the woman has reached menopause
    2. The extent to which the breast cancer has spread
    3. The cell type of the breast cancer
  • The extent of the spread of the cancer is defined accordingly:
    1. Where it is localized in the breast
    2. The rate of the cancer's spread to the lymph nodes
    3. The spread of the cancer to deep muscles in the breast
    4. The spread of the cancer to the other breast
    5. The spread of the cancer to the other organs, i.e., bone or brain
  • In terms of cell types, there are more aggressive and less aggressive cell types. In addition, there are receptors on the cells themselves (for example, estrogen receptors) that make breast cancer more responsive to treatment.
  • Lumpectomy -- removal of the lump and local tissue around it. This may include the removal of some of the lymph nodes via radiation treatment.
  • Segmental (partial) mastectomy with or without radiation treatment -- involves the removal of the cancer, as well as some of the tissue surrounding it. The lining covering the muscles underneath the cancer, as well as the lymph nodes under the arm, is also removed.
  • Total mastectomy is done by removing the entire breast and axillary (under the arms) lymph nodes.
  • Modified radical mastectomy -- removal of breast, the muscles below it, and lymph glands in axillary armpit area
  • Ovarian ablation -- making ovaries inactive so they do not produce hormones that enhance breast cancer growth. This is not commonly done, but new medical literature suggests that it may be helpful in some cases.
  • Medications
    1. Hormonal therapy -- Tamoxifen
    2. CMF (Cytoxan, Methotrexate, 5-FU) and other agents of chemotherapy
    3. Bone marrow transplant
    4. Stem cell transplant
    5. Biological therapies

  • Breast cancer is curable when caught early, and can lead to death if diagnosis and treatment are delayed. If you feel an abnormal breast lump or have any other symptoms that might be suggestive of breast cancer, see your physician as soon as possible.

  • Fibroadenoma
  • Fibrocystic Breast Disease
  • Breast Abscess

  • Breast Cancer Prevention
    1. Monthly self-breast examination
    2. Yearly breast exams by your physician
    3. Mammograms -- baseline at 35 years old, and every 1-2 years between the ages of 40 and 49, depending on the risk factors. After 50, a mammogram should be done every year. Mammograms may be recommended in certain high-risk younger women.
    4. Vitamin D -- there is some evidence that Vitamin D may be protective against breast cancer. A dose of 400 I.U. per day is an appropriate preventative measure.
    5. In some studies, Tamoxifen has been shown to prevent breast cancer in high-risk women. Tamoxifen does have side effects, including rare serious eye problems and an increased risk of endometrial cancer.
    6. Evista -- this medication is currently approved for treatment of Osteoporosis (and not breast cancer prevention). Many studies suggest it reduces the risk of breast cancer by 50% or more. It also seems to have much fewer side effects than Tamoxifen. Although there is no FDA approval, many physicians prescribe Evista for breast cancer prevention based on current medical studies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm 55-year-old from paris, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,
?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
?Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,?Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,?Vulvar cancer,Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.

Mamacita Lucy said...

I'm proud to say now that I am finally at a place where I have found something that works for me. Almost four years ago I began seeing a classical Homeopath. I was put on a constitutional remedy by Dr Itua herbal center who reside in west africa, and I am amazed at my healing thus far. I will continue to post what worked for me and what didn't in more blogs to come (as this one is getting quite long... and I'm not writing a book on here - not yet anyway). This discovery has not only helped the way I practice, but it has also given me further insight into the world of Herbal  medicine. I came to know more about Dr Itua on Tv Station when I was taking my regular organic coffee at javamania coffee spot I watched the whole scene on how he uses Natural herbs to cure disease like Herpes, Hiv/Aids, Cancers,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Multiple myeloma, Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,Alzheimer's disease, chronic diarrhea, COPD, Parkinson's disease, Als And Diabetes, I was moved by his words then I took a confident step to contact him regarding my health condition Herpes & Prostate Cancer, He prepared his herbal medicine then sent it to me through Courier which I took as it's was instructed and I found myself healing symptoms are all gone I have being watching my health for years now and I finally confirmed that is a permanent cure like he told me at our first conversations so now I'm healthy and happy I purchase his herbal tea which I usually take in the morning before starting my day because it feels good to find addiction on natural herbs than medical drugs so is what I'm doing and loving it more and More to come later on blogs sooner I will be writing my book.I will advise you to contact Doctor Itua Herbal Center for any kind of permanent cure and herbal remedy.Doctor Itua Email Contact: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Also On Whats-App Calls: +2348149277967.

Anonymous said...

Dr Itua cures my HIV, I have been an ARV Consumption for 10 years. I have been in pain until I came across Dr Itua on a blog site. I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location I explained everything to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cure me, he gave me guarantee, He asks me to pay for items fees so when I'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua. I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days. Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work. My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and the rest of my friends did too, Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what I'm talking about if you have the same problem I was having then not now though. I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center. I have his calendar too that he recently sent me, He Cures all kind disease Like, Cancer,Weak Erection, Wart Remover,Hpv, Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease, Heart failure, Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv, Hepatitis B, Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy,Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Brain Cancer, Lung Cancer, Infertility,Parkinson's disease, Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Epilepsy disease, small-round-cell tumor Diabetes,Celiac disease, Ataxia, Arthritis, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio, Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma, Asthma, Allergic diseases.Hiv/Aids,Herpe ,Copd, Glaucoma, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer's disease, Dementia. Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back. Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com